5-cat Style did a tongue-in-cheek analysis of the humans encountered at the CWS booth during an event on Sunday. Granted it was an adoption drive, and you'd never see such an eclectic gathering on a mundanely usual (and often S-L-O-W) week on planet adoption. But I still like how 5-cat Style managed to collate an exemplary list of prime specimens of all 3 ilks. So here's my me-too takes. The Good are SURREAL You know, meeting people like these make this cynical old-heart soften. These good folks give you hope that perhaps, there is well, you know, hope after all. They understand your constraints, and they are willing to work with you so the kitties get the best of the situation. Why aren't there more good people? Shoot the Bad It never ceases to amaze me, how unrooted some 'people' are. They make the most ridiculous demands. They want a breed-cat, but don't want or can't bear to part with money. So they choose the cheapo cop-out of adopting, and yet they still behave as if they're denizens of heaven come to grace the occasion. Now, I must add a caveat here. There is nothing wrong if you want to look for certain characteristics in an adoption candidate. I've adopted a few babies out to folks who wanted long tailed kitties. There was also one fantastic lady who wanted only a girl, slender, so her resident moggie won't get overwhelmed. All these are great cat guardians who really care for the kitties. It's not a sin to say "I'm looking for a cat with siamese- qualities." It's when the potential adopter starts telling you: We hate Big EARs, we hate stumpy tails, we want a persian, 2-3 months can already, bigger not so cute, we want a siamese, we want a white cat, we want.. we want... Last I looked, there wasn't anything on me that screams "Custom Cats R Us". The temptation to do bodily harm always threatens to rear its ugly, but commiserative, head about this point in time. But you grin and bear it, and instead continue to be civil to these people on whom civility is wasted. Why? Because otherwise, that stoopid urban myth of "them crazy cat women" will gain a few more moronic subscribers. When you explain and tell these idiots you rescue, not sell cats, so you don't have control over how the moggies look, and anyway, cats are cats are cats, they look askance, like you've wasted their time and blasphemed. And oh, how weird that you're rescuing the worthless, plain local cats. Whatever, they're the losers. The UGLY Eh... erm... OK, I admit defeat here. Honestly, I know there's a diff, but the line's so blurred sometimes, I can't tell the difference between BADDIES and UGLIES anymore. They seem like hybrids of the same species. Wait, I can think of one example: a father called, wanting to adopt so his two kids can learn responsiblity and kindness too. A load of social-righteous proclamations later, I was sold. So we got down to the surprising tedious business of arranging a visit - we literally bent over backwards to accommodate them. With promises of updating should a change be necessary, we set an appointment 2 weeks later. On the actual day, SMS reminders went unanswered, and you guessed it, the family never showed, no apologies, no nothing. I didn't know the Bermuda Triangle had a branch-office in the locale. Anyway, so what's the point in all this? Two, I think: 1) People come in all shapes and sizes, and the more you meet, the less surprised you are. The main point is to keep cool with the baddies, and remember the goodies when things aren't going well. There'll always be light at the end of the tunnel... unless someone forgot to pay the bills. 2) Adopters are a strange species in evolution. But then, I suppose, the symbiotic species, the foster is too. I don't know, honestly, which of the three categories I'd fit into, but since we're still in contact and speaking terms with all our adopters, I guess we're not too low on the evolutionary ladder. (A later tangent about the Good) - Go to Pawprints: TNRM - Go to SINGAPORE UGLY / Casefile: Cruel Singapore. Hack-care Singapore. - Go to HDB bans cats - government body chronically misconceived - Go to Singapore's Love-Hate Relationship with Trap-Neuter-Release Management - Check out the purrsNswipes Adoption Guidebook - Meet our homeseekers - Go to Pawprints: TLC for cat minon requisite education
Hey, what's that in my food dish??
It ain't peachy for Singaporean cats
Cats banned from NINETY % of homes
Singapore chooses killing over sterilisation
|Earth calling Homo Sapien||Is that blood in your lipstick?||Does your grub bleed?||DAILY donation clicks (FREE)
Bulk Click Donators|Charity Click!
purrsnswipes has moved! We're the
Updates are on the way, just that eta is uncertain - traffic jam and problems as listed in our last entry, "Buzz-out. Greetings from Cyber Purgatory". *points to first entry*
Thank you for your patience, and interest, and see you there,
29 June 2006
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
If we had a calling-card for what we do outside of the moola-getting stuff, it'd likely read: ARMCHAIR advoCATS & HUMANITY CYNICS @ Kitty-Grub Delivery * Feline Mojo Robbery * Cat Rehoming (outsourced foster-care) * Home-Slacker Coddling * Petition Signing * Bureaucracy Rattling (Part-time) * Word Spreading - Because People Need To KNOW @ Members of "Listen To The Earth - We are not Cassandras for telling you there's only one Earth!" (Powered by mental-brainjuice of 2 two whacked-out sibs)
- Sweet as Fudge (ST, 20050807)
- Is Nothing Sacred? Religion and Animal Liberation
- Free animals? Adopt a pet instead (ST, 20050522)
- One of us is a weirdo, so what? We're buddies!
- Singaporeans got perception Issues - can't differe...
- Boys and girls, meet Granddaddy O
- TCS Daily: Torturing the Truth
- On the other hand, you don't want to be the lord-p...
- One is really not the answer you want
- Sealed with a kiss. Actually, tons of faith.
- The Street Gangs (they whose homes are the fickle streets of Singapore)
- The Home Seekers (earnestly seeking personal laps and chin-ticklers)
- Adoption Guidebook - thoughts and views on the rehoming-gig
- The Home Slackers - the fat bums who have staked claims over sofa and bed
- The Associates - felines and furries slacking in other homes
- TLC (Must-knows and oughta-knows for your cats' utmost comfort while they lord over your life)
- TNRM (a.k.a Feline Mojo Robbery & After-care)
Cyber CatnipAbout Cats (All about Cats and Kittens - Cat Care - Cat Behaviour - Cat Health)
Cat Vaccines Your online resource for understanding the benefits, risks, and latest research on feline vaccines
PetEducation.com>Cats (Anatomy, Behaviour & Diseases of Cats and Kittens)
CatQuotes.com (Never be left defenseless without a kitty quote anymore)
|Cats Quote of the Day|
Today's Cat Quote
Quote provided by:
Say It With Cats
Fan out - Links!
For thee, beloved, we fret...
Cats, and their brethren braving the elements and human whimsies
- MettaCats (Rescue / Foster / Adoptions)
- Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary (NANAS)
- NTU Cat Cafe Society (NTU is a local Uni)
- SingaporeCats (msn grp)
- Alley Cat Allies
- Captive Animals' Protection Society
- IDA - In Defense Of Animals
Don't Breed Or Buy While Shelter Animals Die
- A PETSHOP KITTEN
- ARE YOU FUNDING PUPPY MILLS AND ANIMAL CRUELTY?
- Kitten Mills
- Little Shops of Sorrows: API's Pet Shop Campaign and Undercover Investigation
Earth calling Homo Sapien
- ACRES - Animal Concerns Research & Education Society
- AnimalsAsia - China Bear Rescue
- Asian Conservation Awareness Program
- Earthjustice: Because The Earth Needs A Good Lawyer
- enn - Environmental News Network
- IDA - In Defense Of Animals
- SSCS - Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
- UCS - Union of Concerned Scientists
- WSPA - World Society For The Protection Of Animals
Animal Cruelty - YOU Can Stop It!
Abandonment, Abuse, Cruelty, Neglect
In Singapore – Be aware of Law and Right
- Making a police report (from the blog of Dawn, CWS's Director of Operations)
- Police will tackle abuse seriously (Press release. Alt Link)
- The First Strike Campaign: ANIMAL SEXUAL ABUSE FACT SHEET by New Mexico Animal Control
Is that blood in your lipstick?The Holocaust Of Beauty
- Animal Testing in Cosmetic Industry
- Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping - L'Oreal fact file
- Procter & Gamble in the McSpotlight by Beyond MacDonald's
- 'Pet' Foods and Animal Testing Policies by Uncaged Campaigns: Against All Animal Experiments/Vivisection
- Iams - Pet Food Cruelty Exposed by Moggies - Home of the online Cat Guide
The Fur Trade
- China's Shocking Dog and Cat Fur Trade by furisdead.com
- Heather Mills McCartney - Dog & Cat Fur Petition
Your Consumerism Can Make Or Break Animal Cruelty And Environmental Destruction
- THE BODY SHOP FILE: Beyond "Shattered Image"
- BoycottTobacco.com (Chicken-In-A-Biscuit Sells Cigs)
- The Captive Animals' Protection Society
- Circuses.com: The Circus is No Place for Animal Abuse
- THE IMPACTS OF SHRIMP PRODUCTION - You Can Stop It! by EFJ - Environmental Justice Foundation. Protecting People And Planet
- Sustainable Travel International. Leave The World A Better Place
Does your grub bleed?So, where did your steak come from?
- THE MEATRIX: Fight Factory Farms! (non-gore flash animation)
- Free farm animals from the cruelty of confinement
- Foie Gras - Delicacy of Despair
- Consider The Lobster (pdf) by David Foster Wallace
Blessed are they who refuses meat
- Buddhist Resources on Vegetarianism and Animal Welfare
- Christian Religion and Vegetarian Resources
- Islam and Vegetarianism , Islamic Concern and Vegetarianism
On the side: arty-Farty, weighty, geek-outs, and what-have-yous
Expressions - the mental ilkMake a stand - air your views!
Good friends these are!
Eh? Say again? Language & *ahem*culture
Anime/Manga - Hai Dozo!
- Manga-A Gaijin's Guide to Anime and Manga
- Astronomy Picture of the Day
- PEARLJAM: Ten Club
- DarkLyrics.com (metal lyrics archive)
- Burgess Shale
- JOURNAL OF DINOSAUR PALEONTOLOGY
- Thomas D Mangelsen's Images Of Nature
- California Dreamin' - Spring/Summer, California, USA, 2001
Astronomy - Stars in my mind
Music - Soothing the Savage Beast? Maybe Not
Natural History & Paleontology
Photography - Memories are made of these
(Singapore blog italicised)
- 5-Cat Style & The Flyer
- The Blog Pound
- Cat Art Blog
- Catdonna's Cats
- Celeste, Queenie, Cookie, Cotton
- Chaos in the House of Cat
- Dogma and Cattitude
- Fat Eric and Friends
- Feral Cats In The News
- Foster Cats' Blog
- Don't mess with Kootoomonster!
- The PsychoKitty Speaks Out
- Working with The CWS
- Animal Ethics
- Animal Writings
- Bird Ecology Study Group, Nature Society (SG)
- Blogger for Dummies
- blog.bioethics.net - the bioethic web log
- Earth Blog
- For the Future of Our Forest
- Fresh Blog
- livescience.com blogs
- Mrs Budak's Lair
- NIHONgo For It!
- Of Human and Non-Human Animals
- Parking Idiots In Singapore
- Peter C Glover: Wires from the bunker
- Singapore Database
- Singapore Town Councils
blog toys and curios
Who links to me?
Have a comment?
Write to purrsNswipes: sephycat at gmail dot com or leave a comment on this blog entry: Meows and Hisses